December 31, 2013

2014 Reading Challenges & Personal Goals for blogging, writing & more



Last year I had only signed up for 1 reading challenge,and failed miserably. It was the Goodreads reading challenge and had set a goal to read 50 books in 2013. I managed 32. For 2014 I have signed up for a few challenges... by a few I of course mean that I went a little crazy. Not all of these are reading challenges either. How do you like that! I'm a rebel, I know.





Reading Challenges:

  2014 Shifter Challenge hosted by Parajunkee.com
Hosted by Parajunkee.com


THE RULES:

  1. The Shifter Challenge runs from January 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014
  2. The challenge is to read 10 books that have a SHIFTER as a main, or supporting character
  3. Books can be in any format and should be at least 100 pages. Short stories do not count. You can also post about rereads.
  4. Post about this challenge on your blog stating that you are participating or create a shelf via Goodreads, Booklikes etc. That post or shelf is the link that you will include in the link-up below. The link should be the post link not just your direct blog link. Please be courteous and include a link back to this post.
  5. Post your reviews on the Review Post: Click here to log your reviews!



The (very brief) rundown to this challenge:
  • This reading challenge runs from 1 January 2014 to 31 December 2014
  • You can join at any time
  • Any book is acceptable in this challenge so long as you’ve read it in the past; perhaps it was a DNF you wanted to revisit, perhaps it’s a book you’ve read and loved but don’t remember the details too much. It’s totally up to you how you want to define this ;)
  • Linking your reviews to the separate Linky Widget (that I will be posting up on 31 December 2013 and will remain live until the end of 2014) is optional but strongly recommended just so that we can share titles and thoughts with other bloggers, learn new titles out there and get to know each other in the process :)
Levels (sorry, not feeling very creative coming up with these levels, lol; I’m pretty laxed about this):
  • 1 – 4 books — Occasional re-reader
  • 5 – 9 books — Re-reading pro!
  • 10+ books — Re-reading champ!

** I love that I now have a reason to re-read some of the books that I've already read before. I'm going to go with the 5-9 books - Re-reading pro for this challenge, but I hope to get to re-read more than that.




Here are All The Deets:

  • The 2014 Review Pile Reading Challenge runs from January 1st until December 31st, 2014
  • Sign-ups will remain open until December 31st, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific
  • Grab one of the buttons to show off your participation! Parajunkee did a great job with them!
  • You DO NOT have to have a blog to join this challenge. You just need to have some books received for review and a place online to review them
  • Create a sign-up post announcing your intention to participate and link up below. If you do not have a blog, you can link up to your Goodreads profile that shows your 2014 Review Pile Reading Challenge shelf
  • Please link back to the hosts in your sign-up posts
  • This challenge is to help clear up books you’ve received for review. Any format, or any length, as long as you received the book specifically for review, is allowed
  • There will be a kick-off post on January 1, 2014 at both Fiktshun and Phantasmic Reads where you’ll be able to leave your links for any January reviews. (No 2013 reviews.) At the beginning of every month, starting in February, these posts will alternate between both blogs. (See schedule below)
  • If you forgot to leave your review link in the challenge month in which you reviewed the book or the linky list closed before you had a chance to leave it, you can leave it in a future month. (No duplicates.)
  • There will also be monthly giveaways – make sure you check in each month!
  • Use the hashtag #RPRC2014 to share your progress and connect with other participants on Twitter
The Levels:


1-10 – Apprentice

11-20 – Journeyman
21-30 – Master
31-40 – Grand Master
40+ – Adept

**Do I think I'll actually hit the Grand Master level of 31-40 books? Psh, no. I had a hard enough time this year just reading the 31 that I did get to. But, we shall see. 




This is a challenge for YOU, so you’ll set your pace and decide what you will read but I do have a few guidelines:
  • You have to FINISH the series
  • If the series isn’t complete yet, or will not be completed before December 1st, 2014 read up to the most recent book in said series.
  • Novellas count, but are optional.
  • HAVE fun
  • If you decide to break up with a series after book one, it does not count!
  • You do not have to START the series in 2014, you just have to FINISH it in 2014
  • Series that you started prior to 2014 are fine as long as you FINISH the series in 2014
  • The series has to have at least 2 books out prior to December 1st, 2014
  • Proof that you finished the book is required. It could be a full review, a mini review, or a rating with a few lines.
  • DNF’s do not count. PERIOD.
Levels (You get a badge for every level you pass):

1-3 series -- Bronze Badge
4-6 series -- Silver Badge
7-11 series -- Gold Badge
12+ series -- Platinum Badge


Series I hope to read in 2014:

**Will have a list of the series I hope to read just as soon as I decide on which ones I'm really dying to read at the moment, lol. There's just soooo many!


Blogging Goals:

I really want to be more "involved" with my blogging this year. 2013 was a little difficult for me since I had so many technological problems. Here's to hoping 2014 is better. Here is what I aim to do in 2014, blogging wise:


  • Post more unique and fun blog posts.
  • Post more reviews, and in a timely manner.
  • Visit more blogs!! I really didn't visit too many other blogs this past year, I'm not sure why. But that will change this year.
  • Spend a little more effort on my social networking. (I pretty much suck at it.)


Pen to Paper 2014:

I haven't written anything in a long time and haven't put much effort into editing what "little" I have written. I blame a large part of it on depression. So this year I hope to write at least 1200 words a day but to ultimately have 120,000 words written this year for my book. I also aim to focus on only writing 1 book until I hit my word count. In the past I tended to write 2-5 different books at once. It got a little hectic. But the voices just didn't want to shut up and wait their turns. 


Lets Get Crafty 2014:

I really love creating things with my own hands but never really do anything but look at stuff that I want to try and pin it on pinterest. So this year I aim to do at least 5-10 D.I.Y. projects that I've either found on Pinterest or a magazine or another bloggers blog.

*I made up this little challenge, if you'd like to participate you may do so, but please give me some sort of credit. ;) **Challenge Image to come soon.


Cooking It Up 2014:

This is similar to the crafty goals. I see a lot of delicious looking recipes on pinterest and always tell myself that I will make them. I never do. So this year I have set myself a goal to try and make 5-10 different recipes that I come across on the internet.

*I made up this little challenge, if you'd like to participate you may do so, but please give me some sort of credit. ;) **Challenge Image to come soon.

Other goals for 2014:


  • Spend less time on the computer.
  • Be more active.
  • Refurbish the old bike my dad bought me.
  • Learn to like myself.
  • Be 100% truly happy. Not just pretend happy.
  • Do something fearless
  • Don't cut my hair for the entire year of 2014 (I have this really bad habit of cutting my hair whenever I'm really really bored.)
  • get a work visa to Australia and go visit Jessica from Jess Resides Here.


So those are my goals and challenges for 2014. What are yours? Do you have any?

6 comments:

  1. I joined one challenge but my aim is 2 things one hit at least that 50 book mark and half of those at least if not more should be books I currently have in either print or ebook. So knock some off the TBR mountain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really need to get to reading half the books I've owned and haven't read since 2007, lol. I'm horrible!

      Delete
  2. Oh and what you said about blogging goals yes to all of that as well myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I'm not the only one! That makes me feel better.

      Delete
  3. You should like you tons, you are awesome also you should add get a work visa to Australia and go visit Jessica to that list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you. And just for you I put another goal on my list. I'll try my hardest to make it happen. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...