March 20, 2014

Review: "Wall Street West" by Dr. Cristina Guarnieri


***After having my initial review for this book removed from amazon.com without explanation and the problems I've had with the author over my review not suiting her I've decided to just post my review here on my blog, that way I know it's not going anywhere.***


Series: N/A
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Infinity Publishing
Published: February 6, 2014

Synopsis:

Beyond the mirrored windows of the city’s high-rise buildings; the landscape of a metropolis that holds itself to the outskirts of the Hudson River, leaves a city that set the standard for corruption and overshadowed itself by the darkness of political deception. Behind the thriving neighborhoods of cultural scenery, the sixth borough had become a blanket that was once woven with the challenges of deceit versus ethics. No one knows what tomorrow will bring, but for integrity to prevail, an awakening would need to be brought to the city streets that were once plagued by the mysteries of Wall Street West.




My Thoughts:


I received a copy of Wall Street West by Dr. Cristina Guarnieri from the publisher, free in exchange for an honest review. What the publisher failed to let me know prior to agreeing to accept this book for review consideration was that although they were interested in an honest review, no matter good or bad, the author herself had no interest in any review that didn't sing this books praises. After her initial demands that I remove my negative review of her book went unanswered, as I had been busy at the time discussing her accusations of copyright infringement with others in the publishing business just to be certain that I had not, by some chance, committed her accusation (I did not), she then made her accusations public for other readers and reviewers to see. I don't mind at all that she called my review "subjective," I do however mind that she accused me of committing a crime, not once but twice, simply because she was upset at my negative review on her book.

When I had initially agreed to review this book for the publisher I had done so for two reasons. One, this is a small publishing company and I like to help get their authors exposed to others that might have never heard of them before my review. Two, there were no good reviews on this particular book at the time I was approached for a review on it, and was hoping to be one of the first to post a good review for it. It sounded like a pretty good story, no matter what the other negative reviews had said about it. I don't know, I'm just optimistic, I for one don't let a negative review push me away from a book that sounds good to me so was eager to give this one a try. Once I received this book however and started reading it any hopes of enjoying this book quickly diminished and was replaced with what was fast becoming a steady headache. The authors writing was more like someone who was self published rather than like someone who was published through an actual publisher. Don't get me wrong, there are some self published authors who are amazing but we all know that the majority of self published authors are self published for an obvious reason and it is clear in their writing/editing style. I'm referring to the latter in this case.

Although there was potential for this book to be a good one the lack of a good editing session and decent dialogue is what killed any hopes I had for this book. The writing is all over the place and the dialogue is flat and dull rather than expressive and full of life. For example here's a direct quote from the book (pages 35-36):

"Hey David. Good to see you," said Lucas, as he entered the diner 
"Marcy Audie," said David. 
"Hi," answered Marcy. 
"David Ellsworth," said David. 
"Good to see you," answered Lucas. 
"I went to a place across the street," said Lucas. 
"The art gallery," said Marcus. 
"No. Next door is a Chinese place. Bryson told me 23 Stout Street, so I thought it was-." Said Lucas. 
"The mayor's not feeling real well. His migraines are-," Said David. 
"He needs more medicine," said Lucas.

Yes, this is the direct quote that has landed me in trouble with the author herself, however I still feel it explains to you reading this just exactly what I am talking about when I say the dialogue is poor and lacking. I had a hard time understanding, especially with this particular quote, what was happening. There is no description given to the story, just a bunch of "said David", "said Lucas", "said Marcus", etc. Had there been a good solid amount of description this story would had been exceptionally better. Maybe not 100% better to where I would give it a better review but at least 25% better to where I would have given it a slightly higher rating on goodreads and amazon than what I did. However this is how most of the conversations go throughout this book. If this book had gone through the proper amount of edits and developed a decent structure as well, it would have helped immensely, but as it stands I have to agree with another reviewer who said this just seemed like an outline to a story rather than the story itself. So what had potential to be a good read failed to be so due to it's lack of structure, description and proper editing. It needed more work than what was given, simply put.

**If you are curious as to wether I am indeed guilty of Guarneri's accusations, I am not. My use of the quoted material that I have provided in my review falls under "Fair Use" of copyright. You can learn more about that here: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html. It states:

“The 1961 Report of the Register of Copyrights on the General Revision of the U.S. Copyright Law cites examples of activities that courts have regarded as fair use: “quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism for purposes of illustration or comment” 

2 comments:

  1. I did not know this, also that author sucks donkey balls and based on that quote so does Dr. Cristina Guarnieri writing. Sorry about the shit. I have had 2 friends now go through the same crap because of authors acting like twat waffles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's bull crap. Had I known the crap that would come my way when I was asked to review this book I would never have accepted it. So exhausted over it. But what can you do right?

      Delete

Feel free to leave me some comment love, it really makes my day! But fair warning, comments will not be automatically posted. All comments are monitored to keep spam off this blog. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...